Patient Safety Specialist
Company: Memorial Hermann Health System
Posted on: July 22, 2021
At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional
experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to
provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that
develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial
Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its
established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees
drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
The Patient Safety Specialist will coordinate the patient safety
programs within a hospital. The Patient Safety Specialist will work
collaboratively with other enterprise, regional and hospital
patient safety specialists. The Patient Safety Specialist will
identify methods for reduction of medical/health care errors and
other factors that contribute to unintended adverse outcomes. The
Patient Safety Specialist will facilitate safety assessments and
coordinate the activities of the patient safety committees, educate
physicians, nurses, and other practitioners on the system-based
causes for medical error. The Patient Safety Specialist will
communicate literature-based ideas regarding effective patient
safety strategies to others within the hospital and facilitate
implementation of the patient safety program within the hospital.
The Patient Safety Specialist assists in the development of and
implementation of Patient Safety improvement projects within the
hospital while working in conjunction with physicians, directors
and clinical staff. The Patient Safety Specialist supports the
collection, analysis and reporting of patient safety and financial
data in relation to cost containment, performance improvement and
patient safety. The Patient Safety Specialist promotes
interdisciplinary collaboration, fosters team work and champions
Education: Bachelors degree or above in nursing, pharmacy,
or related clinical area
Licenses/ Certifications: CPHRM, CPHQ, and/or CPSO
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Five (5) years in Healthcare setting, with two years'
experience in quality, risk, or patient safety activities
- Leadership capabilities
- Effective written, verbal and presentation skills
- Proficient in event analysis methodologies
- Knowledge of high reliability methodology
- Experience in healthcare/clinical education
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by
integrating our culture in all internal and external customer
interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health"
through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration,
compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Conduct the investigation, summary reporting, data analysis,
response planning, implementation and follow-up of all events of
harm root cause analyses within a hospital.
- Conduct periodic Common Cause Analyses of individual and system
failure mode data within a hospital.
- Educate and coach hospital staff in conducting Apparent Cause
Analyses on precursor and potentially near miss events.
- Participate in and coordinate comprehensive hospital data
collection pertaining to patient safety to meet national, state,
regional and internal measures.
- Direct activity to meet Joint Commission National Patient
Safety Goals, including education, monitoring, updating, and policy
and procedure compliance.
- Coordinate the Patient Safety Climate survey within a
- Contribute to short term and long term robust process
improvement projects to continuously improve patient safety.
- Facilitate and further develop safety coaches within the
- Educate and reinforce hospital staff in the Breakthroughs in
Patient Safety and high reliability behavioral based
- Conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analyses on patient safety
- Participate in collecting accurate data pertaining to patient
safety indicator and hospital acquired condition measures.
- Sharing of best practices to allow for System-wide
- Collaborate with enterprise quality and patient safety program,
in particular the patient safety function, to share knowledge
leading to better outcomes.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to
all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within
budgetary specifications including time management, supply
management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by
meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills
competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the
success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and
resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Memorial Hermann Health System, Pearland , Patient Safety Specialist, Other , Pearland, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!