Company: Houston Methodist
Posted on: June 18, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Administrative Clerk position is
responsible for performing general office work and delivering
exceptional customer service assistance which entails addressing
patient inquiries and providing an overall welcoming environment.
This position's responsibilities will include producing, filing and
distributing reports to designated areas. The Administrative Clerk
position will perform a variety of routine clerical tasks of
limited complexity under general supervision, ensuring the
department's patient, visitor and customer interactions are in
accordance with Houston Methodist's ICARE values of integrity,
compassion, accountability, respect and excellence and established
standard operating procedures which includes all staff providing
unparalleled patient care and customer service in a timely,
professional and safe manner.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care"
plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and
populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently
demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional,
ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth,
dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model
for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by
following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive
Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their
needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports
byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable
to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are
essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a
dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to
achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members
of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting
pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive
- Develops ongoing relationships and interactions with internal
stakeholders and clinicians; Conducts self in a manner that is
congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles.
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores
for employee engagement on department scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer
SERVICE - 25%
- Accurately and thoroughly enters all relevant information into
systems, optimizing all available computer software. Properly
gathers, reviews, duplicates and distributes patient medical
information. Prepares and maintains patient files, as appropriate.
- Performs routine office typing, including envelopes, memos,
physician notes and physician orders, as appropriate. Prepares and
maintains general office files. (EF)
- Prints, collates and distributes reports to designated areas.
- Coordinates patient flow with support area staff. Actively
participates in organizing the work flow, problem-solving, and
managing multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Contributes to meeting/exceeding department and organization
targets for patient satisfaction measures. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Coordinates and processes requests for medical information
according to policies and procedures. Maintains and accurately
updates routine reports, forms and log sheets. (EF)
- Maintains a safe environment, following all policies and
procedures for safety, hazardous material. Reports accidents
promptly and corrects minor safety hazards in accordance with
regulations and standards. (EF)
- Identifies and escalates issues and opportunities for
improvement. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of
assignments. Contributes towards improving department/practice
quality and safety scores. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies.
Inventories and orders office supplies following established
department standards. Assists with routine equipment
troubleshooting such as paper jams, ink cartridge replacement, etc.
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and
prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes
time efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs and
seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs.
Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis.
Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management.
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in
performance improvement projects and activities. Follows up on
action items to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the
employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job
duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise
job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include:
GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full
completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- One year of clerical experience with computer skills including
spreadsheet and word processing applications
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely
perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills,
competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the
English language necessary to perform the essential functions of
this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or
employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians,
family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a
customer service focus and application of positive language
- Demonstrates a high level of maturity with demonstrated
self-confidence and ability to make decisions
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates a learning attitude toward solving problems, using
good reasoning and judgment in a high stress environment
- Demonstrates a positive demeanor and strong multi-tasking
- Ability to work with peers in a team situation
- Very strong organization skills and detail-oriented nature
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive
- Proficient in computer skills for documentation
Work AttireYes/NoUniform NoScrubsYesBusiness professionalYesOther
(dept approved) Yes
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)*Note that employees may
be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe
Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel** May
require travel within YesHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job:
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nations
leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist
has brought together some of the nations leading experts in
multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston
Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not
only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of
research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and
teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of
clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have
access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing
the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit
corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical
Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with
respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice
within an academic environment.
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Pearland , Office Clerk, Other , Pearland, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!