Sr. Patient Care Assistant, Nights - Pearland Med/Surg
Posted on: March 12, 2023
At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional
experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to
provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that
develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial
Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its
established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees
drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Assists with delegated direct and indirect patient care tasks,
under the direction and supervision of a licensed clinician.
Education: High school diploma or GED preferred
- Certified in Basic Life Support or Heartsaver CPR with AED
within 90 days of employment ( and one or more of the
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of
- Nursing student with completion of fundamentals of nursing
- Graduate of a foreign nursing program with nursing
credentials/licensure in country of origin or
- Completion of a Medical Assistant training program
(Certification or Registration preferred) or
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in the Emergency
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- One (1) year patient care experience, preferably in an acute
- In the Emergency Department only, no experience if graduate
from Medical Assistant or EMT (Intermediate Level) or Paramedic
Program with at least 160 hours of extern clinical experience in a
designated specialty area
- Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and
communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff and respond
quickly to patient behavioral changes
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations;
demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or
assigned procedures, including working knowledge of basic medical
terminology and computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with increased
- Efficiency in multi-tasking and ability to prioritize
- Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged and/or extensive
sitting, standing, and walking
- Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with
patients, visitors, and staff
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by
integrating our culture in all internal and external customer
interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health"
through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration,
compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Delivers appropriate advanced indirect and selected direct
patient care at a competent level as directed by a licensed
clinician within the scope of hospital-approved PCA skills
inventory according to the needs/age of the patient/population
- Performs direct nursing tasks including taking vital signs,
assisting with activities of daily living and hygiene needs, and
obtaining certain lab specimens under the guidance of a licensed
clinician; maintains simple drainage devices; monitors intake and
output, and maintains related records; performs skin preps and
prepares patients for procedures as directed Identifies and
responds to abnormal findings, pertinent changes in the patient's
condition reporting such to the patient's nurse or charge nurse
immediately; charts observations and activities.
- Performs delegated or other specialized functions as
educationally prepared; prepares patients for meals and feeds them;
performs/assists with baths.
- Transports patients as needed to and from various destinations;
assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers.
- Assists in maintaining and providing a clean, safe environment;
filling ice pitchers, changing linens, and keeping beds neat and
- Assists in the orientation of new PCAs, serving as a resource
and providing guidance.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of
patient safety issues.
- Ensures a clean and safe patient environment seeks assistance
with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports
findings to nurse or charge nurse.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior
about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion
of shift assignment.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes; follows safety
rules; works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors; and
participates in organizational and department safety programs.
- Considers the diverse needs of each patient, providing and
ensuring the highest level of service according to established
service standards, optimizing the patient experience.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to
all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within
budgetary specifications including time management, supply
management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by
meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills
competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the
success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and
resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Nurse.com, Pearland , Sr. Patient Care Assistant, Nights - Pearland Med/Surg, Other , Pearland, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...