Treatment Plant Supervisor - Wastewater
Company: City of Pearland, TX
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Job DescriptionJob Summary: Responsible for the operation and
performance of all wastewater plants; provides leadership and
supervision to operators.Supervisory FunctionsManages four (4)
subordinate Crew Leaders who supervise employees at each wastewater
plant. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and
evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities
in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include conducting interviews, hiring, and
training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work;
appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees;
addressing complaints and resolving problems.Essential
- Regular and timely attendance at work.
- Makes repairs on equipment and assists in major work on
buildings and grounds.
- Trouble shoots and solves problems with plant process equipment
and control systems.
- Assists Superintendent, Engineers, and other City officials in
the planning and design of new plants or expansion and upgrade of
- Maintains availability through cell phone or other means for
assistance or possible call-outs during weekend shifts or off
- Monitors plants and solves problems as necessary, on occasion
through the use of a lap top computer with the SCADA system.
- Oversees all wastewater plants by making inspections, monitors
performance, and provides directions for making adjustments.
Ensures that TCEQ and EPA permit requirements are being met.
- Works with purchasing officer to receive bids on equipment and
services; arranges for purchases of equipment and supplies needed
in the wastewater department; arranges for contract work as needed
- Performs paperwork for TCEQ and other governmental agencies;
keeps records for the City of Pearland.
- Performs lab work and substitutes for operators as
- Travels to different suppliers obtaining parts and
- Takes samples of creek water and checks manholes for
- Assists, as needed, with lift stations, wells, etc.
- Schedules contract work to be done at all the plants as needed,
performs job performance appraisals, performs monthly safety
meeting for department as a whole, and attends weekly meeting with
superiors to relay necessary information to subordinates.
- Develops SOP's and monthly reports, review policies and updates
as needed to and deals with personnel issues as needed.
- Serves as "essential personnel" and remains available for
immediate call-in due to any natural or man made disaster, or any
other event the Director of Public Works, Assistant City Manager,
or the City Manager deem necessary.
- Contributes to team effort by performing other related duties
as assigned.Education, Experience, and Licenses
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Five (5) years or more related experience as a Chief Operator
or an Operator; in a category B Wastewater Plant, preferred.
- Knowledge of both conventional and S.B.R. type Treatment Plants
- Class "B" Wastewater Treatment certification or better.
- Valid, Class "C" Texas Driver's License.Knowledge, Skills, and
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to
speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals;
ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and
interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have
knowledge of Database software; Spreadsheet software and Word
- Ability to operate a City vehicle for business use, PC, lab
equipment such as dissolved oxygen meters, PH meters, NH3 meters,
cl2 and SO2 meters microscopes, power hand tools such as drills and
saws, and electrical multi-meters.
- Ability to provide leadership and supervision to
- Ability to establish and maintain a working relationship with
subordinates, co-workers, department heads, vendors, TCEQ and/or
other governmental agencies, engineering firms, and the general
- Ability to come up with temporary solutions to problems both
with process controls and mechanical equipment, often using
ingenuity and materials at hand to keep critical operations
functioning until the proper solutions can be implemented.
- A working knowledge of TCEQ rules and regulations, discharge
permits, and standard methods of laboratory analysis.
- Knowledge of EPA permits, regulations, and discharge
- Knowledge of municipal rules and regulations regarding
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: City of Pearland, TX, Pearland , Treatment Plant Supervisor - Wastewater, Professions , Pearland, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!